New York State Education Law Section 409-H, effective July 1, 2001, requires all public and non public elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year.
The Watervliet City School District is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty and staff who wish to receive 48-hour prior written notification of certain pesticide applications. The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- a school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72 hours following an application
- anti-microbial products
- nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- nonvolatile insecticidal baits in tamper-resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- silica gels and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams or gels in areas inaccessible to children
- boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate
- the application of EPA designated biopesticides
- the application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40CFR152.25
- the use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging or biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good-faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list.
Residents who would like to receive 48-hour prior notification of pesticide applications must notify the district in writing. Please send your written request to:
- Keith Heid, Pesticide Representative
Watervliet City School District,
1245 Hillside Drive, Watervliet, NY 12189.
Phone: (518) 629-3200, Ext. 5.
Fax: (518) 273-5312