In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 infection in the district, facilities operations will be geared toward meeting social distancing requirements and cleaning frequently touched spaces regularly. In carrying out projects or tasks supporting infection control, requirements will be met for changes associated with building spaces. Plans for changes or additions to facilities that require review by the Office of Facilities Planning (OFP), will be submitted to comply with the requirements of the 2020 New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (BC) and the State Energy Conservation Code.
The function, position and operation of stairs and corridor doors, which have closers with automatic hold opens (and are automatically released by the fire alarm system), will remain unchanged.
The district plans to meet the deadline for submission of Building Condition Survey or Visual Inspections on time. In addition, lead in water sampling will be carried out upon the reopening of school under conditions consistent with when the building is “normally occupied.”
Upon reopening, the district plans to increase ventilation, to the greatest extent possible. Water systems will be flushed in buildings that have been unoccupied.
The building reopening plan and activities, which will occur include:
- Working with maintenance staff to ensure HVAC systems have clean filters and proper ventilation in each classroom/office space.
- Appropriate number of drinking fountains and toilet fixtures, which will be properly cleaned and sanitized, are available to students as established in the building code.
- Maintain adequate, code-required ventilation
Cleaning, Disinfecting and Sanitizing
Maintenance will include 2 levels of cleaning.
- Frequently Touched Surfaces will be cleaned, disinfected and sanitized regularly with an AM and PM rotation:
- Hand soap & sanitizer will be filled
- Frequently touched surfaces will be sanitized multiple times during the day (classroom door knobs, entryway door knobs, stair handrails, elevator buttons, faucets, water fountains, etc.)
- Disposal of breakfast and lunch trash from classrooms
- Routine cleaning of playground equipment
- Daily Deep Cleaning of spaces used by students and staff will occur each evening:
- Sweeping and washing floors
- Vacuuming and cleaning carpets
- Emptying trash
- Sanitizing each classroom
- Cleaning and disinfecting all bathrooms
- Sanitizing all office spaces and emptying trash
- Each kitchen will be cleaned and sanitized each afternoon
- Outdoor maintenance (mowing, trash removal, weed-wacking)
- Daily cleaning/sanitizing log will be maintained by lead custodian and stored in the main office of each building