Dear Watervliet grades 3-5 families,
We want to update you about the grades 3-5 English language arts (ELA) and math tests scheduled for this spring. You may recall that these tests, which typically are held each year, were not given in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, unless New York State receives a waiver from the federal government, we are planning to administer a shortened version of the grades 3-8 assessments.
We also share with you some key information about how and when these tests will be given this year. The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has reduced the number of questions on the assessments, and all test questions will be multiple choice. Instead of the state tests being given over two days, testing will occur on one day per grade level for in-person learners. Given the shortened test format, we anticipate that students will be able to complete the assessments in 45-60 minutes; however, students will be able to take as much time as they need.
NYSED requires that all state assessments be completed at school. Changes to the format of the tests give us the flexibility to offer students who are fully remote an opportunity to come to school to take the tests on the dates provided on the schedule below. School administrators are reaching out to families of remote learners to identify students who will take the tests in school. A reminder that students must follow all COVID safety protocols in school when taking the tests, which include completing the health screening/attestation before entering the building.
The dates for the 2021 grades 3-5 NYS English language arts (ELA) assessments are as follows:
- Monday, April 19 ─ Mrs. Ciampi (grades 3-4), Mrs. Shannon (grades 5-6)
- Tuesday, April 20 ─ Grade 3 In-Person Students ONLY
- Wednesday, April 21 ─ Grade 4 In-Person Students ONLY
- Thursday, April 22 ─ Grade 5 In-Person Students ONLY
- Friday, April 23 ─ Grade 3 Remote Learners, 9:30 a.m.
- Monday, April 26 ─ Grade 4 Remote Learners, 9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 27 ─ Grade 5 Remote Learners, 9:30 a.m.
The dates for the 2021 grades 3-5 NYS math assessments are as follows:
- Monday, May 3 ─ Mrs. Ciampi (grades 3-4), Mrs. Shannon (grades 5-6)
- Tuesday, May 4 ─ Grade 3 In-Person Students ONLY
- Wednesday, May 5 ─ Grade 4 In-Person Students ONLY
- Thursday, May 6 ─ Grade 5 In-Person Students ONLY
- Friday, May 7 ─ Grade 3 Remote Learners, 9:30 a.m.
- Monday, May 10 ─ Grade 4 Remote Learners, 9:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, May 11─ Grade 5 Remote Learners, 9:30 a.m.
The grade 4 science test will take place on Monday, June 7. It will be a written test with a combination of multiple choice and short-answer questions. No performance test for science will be given this year.
In-person students and remote learners who are not taking state assessments on testing days should report to school or log-in remotely and follow their regular class schedule.
Please remember that the assessments are a valuable tool for educators to improve teaching and student learning. We know that no one test offers a complete picture of your child’s abilities, and want you to know that your child’s test score will not affect their overall grades. Our hope is that you child simply does the best they can on the test.
Thank you for your support and cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school principal.
Kelly Webster, WES Principal
(This message was sent to grades 3-5 families via One Call Now email on March 31)