We learned this evening, Wednesday, Nov. 18, that a second member of the Watervliet Jr.-Sr. High School community has tested positive for COVID-19. Mandatory quarantines related to the first case earlier this week have created an inability to provide adequate staff coverage for classrooms. As a result, all grades 6-12 classes will move to remote learning beginning tomorrow Thursday, November 19 through Tuesday, November 24. This step also will allow the building to undergo a deep cleaning and sanitizing.
We are working closely with the Albany County Department of Health to identify any potential contacts of the individual. The Department of Health will reach out to those contacts and advise on the need to quarantine or arrange testing, if necessary.
Please keep in mind that the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other privacy laws do not allow the district to disclose or confirm any personally identifiable information; therefore, we cannot identify anyone who has tested positive.
Watervliet Elementary School will be open for in-person learning for prekindergarten through grade 5 on Thursday, November 19, Friday, November 20 and Monday, November 23. The Remote/Virtual Learning Practice Day will take place as scheduled on Tuesday, November 24 for UPK-5.
Please note the following remote learning schedule for grades 6-12 students:
- All grades 6-12 learners will log in to their Chromebooks and follow their virtual class schedule as listed in their Google Classrooms and complete posted activities in their Google Classrooms.
- BOCES Career & Technical Education students will continue in-person at the CTE campus and transportation will still be provided. All high school classes will be virtual.
- P-TECH students should join virtual classes at their scheduled times.
School breakfast and lunch will be available for 6-12 students at the following locations and times:
- Watervliet Elementary School, Main Entrance, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Watervliet Housing Authority/Joslin Apartments, 11:30 a.m.-12 p.m.
24th St. and Whitehall
- Watervliet Civic Center, 11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
14th Street & 1st Avenue
- Port Schuyler Gazebo, 12-12:30 p.m.
Corner of 3rd Avenue & 6th Street
It is important that families continue to complete the district’s COVID-19 health screening/attestation for all students every morning before school.
In addition, please follow the COVID-19 safety precautions that we practice at school when you are away from school. These are intended to keep your family safe and help keep our schools open:
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet at all times from those you don’t live with.
- Always wear a mask that covers both the mouth and nose when you are out of your home.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
A reminder to please stay home if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, congestion or runny nose.
If you or your child are experiencing symptoms, contact your health care provider immediately. COVID-19 testing information is available on the Albany County Department of Health website or by calling the New York State Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 364-3065.
Additionally, testing for symptomatic students is available through our Whitney Young School-Based Health Center on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Please call 518-629-3270 to make an appointment.