The district was notified Saturday, Dec. 19, of a positive case of COVID-19 associated with the Watervliet Jr.-Sr. High School community. The county health department has indicated that there is no need for contact tracing from the school setting or for any other member of the school community to quarantine based on the date the individual was last in the building.
Please keep in mind that the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other privacy laws do not allow the district to disclose or confirm any personally identifiable information; therefore, we cannot identify anyone who has tested positive.
All classrooms at Watervliet Jr.-Sr. High School and Watervliet Elementary School remain open for in-person teaching and learning at this time.
We continue to make every effort to keep our buildings open for in-person teaching and learning by adhering to the health and safety measures in our reopening plan, which include mask-wearing, social distancing and daily cleaning and disinfecting of classrooms, high-contact surfaces and buses.
Please follow the COVID-19 safety precautions that are intended to keep your family safe and help keep our schools open:
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet at all times from those you don’t live with.
- Always wear a mask that covers both the mouth and nose when you are out of your home.
- Avoid gatherings of more than 10 people.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
- Do not come to school when you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, congestion or runny nose.
- Do not send your child to school if they have had close contact with a confirmed positive case.
If you or your child are experiencing symptoms, contact your health care provider immediately. COVID-19 testing information is available on the Albany County Department of Health website or by calling the New York State Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 364-3065. Additionally, testing for symptomatic students is available through our Whitney Young School-Based Health Center on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Call 518-629-3270 to make an appointment.
Please continue to conduct the daily health screening before entering school every day and be aware of COVID symptoms.
We appreciate your continued patience, flexibility and cooperation as we navigate through this challenging school year together. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s building principal or Assistant Superintendent Don Stevens, the district’s COVID-19 Safety Coordinator.
(This information was sent to WCSD families and staff via One Call Now email on 12/19/20.)