This week, we began COVID-19 testing of asymptomatic in-person students and staff members at both buildings in a proactive effort to support the health and safety of our school community. We are pleased to report no positive results from the nearly 100 tests completed this week.
Today – Friday, Jan. 22 – 49 tests were performed on students and staff at Watervliet Elementary School. All 49 tests returned negative results. On Wednesday, a total of 47 in-person students and staff members were tested at Watervliet Jr.-Sr. High School. Results of those tests were also negative.
We will continue with in-school COVID-19 testing for in-person learners and staff, as scheduled below:
- Monday, Jan. 25 at WES
- Wednesday, Jan. 27 at WJSHS
- Friday, Jan. 29 at WES
- Monday, Feb. 1 at WJSHS
- Wednesday, Feb. 3 at WES
- Friday, Feb. 5 at WJSHS
A minimum of 10% of in-person students, teachers and staff members who have consented or volunteered will be tested each week. Our school nurses will administer the COVID-19 tests at the start of each school day.
Testing for students will be done only with parent/guardian permission. We encourage parents and guardians of in-person students who have not already done so, to complete a COVID-19 testing consent form online. Please remember to submit one form for each child in grades UPK-12 in your household.
One new case confirmed by ACDOH
We learned of one new confirmed COVID-19 case this week associated with the elementary school. No additional contact tracing was required by the district related to this case, as per health department guidelines.
WJSHS to resume in-person/hybrid learning schedule for grades 7-12 on Jan. 25
Grades 7-12 students will return to in-person and hybrid learning schedules beginning Monday, Jan. 25.
A reminder for all students returning to school in-person to complete the district’s COVID-19 health screening/attestation every day before entering the building or riding the bus. Please continue to follow the health safety protocols that are in place for students and staff members:
- Always wear a mask that covers both the mouth and nose when you are out of your home or if someone from outside your household visits your home.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently when out of your home. If you cannot use soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Don’t touch the eyes, nose or mouth unless your hands are clean.
- Contact your medical provider if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, congestion or runny nose.
- Do not come to school if you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above. In addition, if an individual in your household is symptomatic and is awaiting the results of a COVID test, please do not send your child to school.
If you or your child are experiencing symptoms, contact your health care provider immediately. COVID-19 testing information is available by calling the New York State Department of Health COVID-19 Hotline at (888) 364-3065 or on the Albany County Department of Health website.
Additionally, testing for symptomatic students is available through our Whitney Young School-Based Health Center on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Please call 518-629-3270 to make an appointment.
We thank you for your continued support and patience as we navigate these ongoing challenges together.
(This update was sent to WCSD families and staff via One Call Now email on Jan. 22)