A reminder that students in grades 3-8 will be taking the 2023 New York State Grades 3-8 English Language Arts the week we return from Spring Break, with the state Math tests to follow in early May (schedule below).
This year for the first time, all of our grade 3 and grade 6 students will participate in Computer-Based Testing. For students in grades 4-5 and grades 7-8 the tests will be given in the traditional paper-based format.
The state tests will continue to be untimed. This means that as long as students are working productively, they will be given as much time as they need to complete the tests during the regular school day.
The dates for the grades 6-8 NYS assessments are as follows:
- Wednesday, April 19-Thursday, April 20: ELA Assessments (Grades 4-5, 7-8)
- Thursday, April 20-Friday, April 21: ELA Assessments (Grades 3 & 6)
- Tuesday, May 2-Wednesday, May 3: Math Assessments (Grades 4-5, 7-8)
- Wednesday, May 3-Thursday, May 4: Math Assessments (Grades 3 & 6)
- Given between Tuesday, May 23-Friday, June 2: Grade 8 Science Performance Test
- Monday, June 5: Grade 8 Science Written Test
Keep in mind that the assessments are a valuable tool for educators to improve teaching and student learning. Please encourage your child to give their best efforts as they prepare for and take the assessments. We know that no one test offers a complete picture of your child’s abilities and want you to know that your child’s test score will not affect their overall grades. Our hope is that your child simply does the best they can on the test.
Thank you for your support and cooperation. If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school principal.
- Mr. Ryan Groat, Principal WES: 518-629-3400
- Ms. Jessie Richards, Principal WJSHS: 518-629-3300