Since our last update on Feb. 28, we have learned of the following positive cases of COVID-19 in our school community:
- One (1) from Watervliet Elementary School
For daily positive COVID-19 cases affecting our district, please visit the NYS COVID-19 Report Card.
Statewide school mask mandate lifted
As you know, wearing face masks in schools is now optional as of March 2, as per the Governor’s Office and the New York State Department of Health.
It is important to remember that some students and staff members may continue to wear masks in school despite the end of the mandate. We respect the personal decisions of our students, their families and staff members whether or not they choose to wear masks while at school.
A reminder that although the mask mandate has ended, the following COVID-19 protocols remain in place for all New York schools, including Watervliet.
- Masks still are mandatory for students/staff returning to school/work after testing positive for COVID-19. Students/staff who test positive for COVID-19 are required to quarantine for five days. When returning to school, they are required to wear a mask in school and when riding the bus, if applicable, on days 6-10.
- Seating arrangements in our classrooms will continue to support social distancing to the greatest extent possible. We also will continue to encourage social distancing whenever possible.
- Continue to limit the number of students in the cafeteria at one time for the rest of this school year to maintain distance between students when they are eating.
- Identify individuals who have been within 6-feet of a confirmed positive case and provide notification of potential exposure to students’ families and staff members.
- Weekly COVID-19 testing for all unvaccinated employees is still a requirement.
Thank you for your continued partnership and commitment to the health and safety of our students and staff. If you have any questions, please reach out to your child’s school principal.
(This message was shared with WCSD families and staff via One Call Now email on March 4.)