Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are excited to welcome back our students and families for the 2021-2022 school year! Our first day of school for grades UPK-5 is Tuesday, September 7.
We understand that we are still in the midst of some challenging times; however, we truly believe that we are stronger and better than we have ever been. If these last few years have taught us anything, it is that we live in the most amazing community, and have the most incredible students. We value your involvement in your child’s education and thank you for your continued support of our school. We look forward to a productive year ahead!
As we embark on this year together, we promise to do our best to provide every student with engaging and meaningful instruction, while building positive relationships in the safest way possible. We do not take it lightly that you have trusted us in protecting, shaping and supporting your most precious possessions. This is why we will continue to do whatever it takes. Please take note of the following:
- All students will be in-person unless medical documentation requires remote learning options.
- Masks will still be required for all students, staff and visitors (except while eating and drinking).
- Masks will still be required while riding the bus, per CDC regulation.
- Social distancing will still take place within the building, at 3 feet. During meals, we will distance to 6 feet. We will utilize the cafeteria and one of our gymnasiums for lunch.
- The building will be routinely disinfected.
- Seating charts will be maintained in all areas to assist with contract tracing.
- UPK Orientation: Wednesday, September 1, 1-3pm
- Kindergarten Meet & Greet: Thursday, September 2
- Cioffi/Cusack 12 p.m.
- Cunningham 12:45 p.m.
- Jacob/Smith 1:25 p.m.
- Pontore 2 p.m.
- Shufelt 2:35 p.m.
- No School: Friday, September 3 and Monday, September 6
- First Day of School: Tuesday, September 7
As mentioned during the Community Forum, we will return to “normal” school hours.
- UPK will be from 8 a.m-2 p.m., and will utilize the UPK doors to enter/exit the building.
- Grades K-5 will be from 8:30 a.m.-2:35 p.m. and will utilize the main doors on 10th Ave., as well as the main doors in the parking lot for buses or late students.
Please see below for important information regarding drop off.
Safety Protocols for Student Drop-Off and Pick-Up
In order to keep children safe, and keep student drop-off and pick-up as efficient as possible, Watervliet Elementary School has adopted the following protocols. Please review the protocols to contribute to a safe school culture and demonstrate consideration and respect for all.
- We ask that you wait in the line around the loop.
- There will be no parking in St. Gobain or elsewhere and crossing the street.
- Drivers must remain in their vehicles while parked in the pick-up/drop-off line during designated times.
- Families are responsible for their children until we open the main doors and greet students.
- While in line, please pull all the way to the front until traffic has stopped.
- Children should have their things gathered and be ready to unload as soon as the car is against the curb.
- Students should exit and enter on the passenger side of the car only (curbside). Upon exiting the vehicle, students will enter the main entrance.
- The line is to be used for drop-off and pick-up from: Grades K–5, 8:30-8:50 a.m.
The parking lot will continue to be the area where buses arrive and depart each day. Your child will be escorted to and from the bus. If you have any questions, changes or concerns regarding the bus, please contact Mrs. O’Brien in the Transportation Office at 518-629-3204.
The Safe Walk to School paths have been marked throughout the community for the WES walkers. Children should remain on the sidewalks and always cross at marked corners. The rules and directions of the crossing guards must be followed. There is no supervision before school begins, so walkers should not arrive on school campus until 8:30am.
We look forward to seeing you all. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our Very Best,
Kelly Webster, Principal & Michael Foust, Assistant Principal