Are you interested in running for the board?
Qualified residents (see qualifications below) interested in running for the Watervliet Board of Education may pick up candidate nominating petitions in the district office located at 1245 Hillside Drive, Watervliet, on regular business days between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. All school board candidate nominating petitions must be filed with the District Clerk no later than 4:00 p.m. on Monday, May 1, 2019.
Board petitions are available in the District Office for anyone who is interested in running for a Board of Education seat.
To qualify to run for a seat on the Board of Education, state law requires candidates meet the following criteria:
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a qualified voter of the district, that is: a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be mentally incompetent.
- Must be and have been a resident of the Watervliet City School District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election.
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year.
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
- May not be a current employee of the school board.
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
All Watervliet school board members serve at large for no pay. The candidates who receive the highest number of votes on school budget day will be elected to three-year terms of office.
Before you decide to run for the board, check out this new online resource from the New York State School Boards Association called The School Board Member Experience.