The district has learned of three new positive COVID-19 cases, which include two members of the Watervliet Elementary School community, and one member of the Watervliet Jr.-Sr. High School community.
- A classroom at WES will move to remote learning effective tomorrow, Thursday, Jan. 14, due to a confirmed case of COVID-19. School administrators have been in contact with all affected individuals and have advised them to follow quarantine procedures.
- The second case at WES is a presumptive positive. All contacts associated with this case have been notified and are following quarantine protocols as per the department of health.
- The confirmed case at WJSHS involves an individual in our remote learning program. The health department has determined there is no need for additional contact tracing within the district.
Also, the district was notified this afternoon that an individual associated with the Watervliet Civic Center’s after-school program has tested positive for COVID-19. The Civic Center is in the process of contacting families of children in the program who may have been exposed.
Status of Our Schools for Thursday, Jan. 14
- WES and WJSHS remain open for in-person teaching and learning.
- One WES classroom will be fully remote, returning to in-person teaching and learning on Jan. 19.
New COVID-19 guidance regarding symptomatic family members
Due to the rise in COVID-19 cases in our area, the Albany County Department of Health has issued updated guidance for schools.
Effective immediately, the DOH advises K-12 school districts to exclude siblings of symptomatic students from attending in-person classes pending results of a diagnostic COVID-19 test for the student exhibiting symptoms.
Siblings who are asymptomatic do not need to have a COVID test to return; however, if no testing is done on the symptomatic student, all siblings must quarantine for the entire 10-day period and remain symptom-free before returning to school.
If you are contacted to pick up your symptomatic student from school, you also will be advised to pick up all other siblings attending school in-person that day.
We appreciate your patience, cooperation and flexibility. Thank you!
(This update was sent to WCSD families via One Call Now email on Jan. 13)