Are you interested in running for the board?
Two seats on the Watervliet Board of Education will be up for election this year. If you are interested in for running for a seat on the board, education law requires that candidates provide a petition signed by at least 50 qualified district voters.
Board nominating petitions are available by request from the District Office for individuals who are interested in running for a Board of Education seat, or a petition packet may be downloaded from the website.
All school board candidate nominating petitions must be filed with the District Clerk no later than 5 p.m. on Wednesday, April 28, 2021.
If you have questions, please email District Clerk Bernadette Boardman, or call (518) 629-3201.
Eligibility & Term Information
To qualify to run for a seat on the Board of Education, state law requires candidates meet the following criteria:
- Must be a qualified voter of the district, that is: a citizen of the United States, and at least 18 years of age or older.
- Must be and have been a resident of the Watervliet City School District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election.
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
- May not be a current employee of the school district.
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
- Must be able to read and write.
All Watervliet school board members serve at large for no pay. Candidates receiving the highest number of votes for the two seats will serve three-year terms beginning July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2024.
New York State Education Law does not limit the number of terms of office a member may serve.
Before you decide to run for the board, check out these online resources from the New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA):